North Berks Football League Roundup - 13th January 2018
Richard Underwood, NBFL Media Relations Officer

Hendred claim victory at Wittenham and move second

East Hendred travelled to Long Wittenham and claimed all three points in a hard fought 2-1 victory at a very cold Bodkins Sports Ground. It was East Hendred who started the better of the two teams with Tom Austin and Pat Howe both having early half chances which were either saved or missed. Then just after ten minutes on the clock Hendred took the lead when a corner was hit towards the near post which was then deflected high into the air by a mistimed clearance and as the ball came back down just under the Wittenham bar where keeper Rob Heyden missed time his punch only to see the ball fall kindly to East Hendred’s defender Ty Lee who bundled the ball over the line. Hendred then almost doubled their lead when a fine free kick from Richard Clayden found Dan Timbrell twelve yards out but he could only head straight at keeper Heyden when in a fine position. Wittenham then had two chances of their own when first coming from a snap shot from Lewis Monaghan from just outside the Hendred box which went straight at keeper Aaron Timbrell which quickly followed by Will Houseman latching onto a through ball but failing to fire his shot past the outstretched Timbrell from close range. Then just on the half hour mark Hendred created a fine move which saw Jack Daly beat two defenders and his cross found Claydon in space who could only fire his shot tamely at Heyden.Wittenham then pulled level slightly against the run of play when a shot from just outside the box was deflected by Houseman which wrong footed keeper Timbrell and crept inside the far post and into the back of the net. Hendred then with their next attack went back into the lead right on the half time whistle when a Howe corner found Daly eight yards out and he glanced his header over keeper Heyden and through a crowded goal mouth and into the far corner of the net. The second half started with Hendred having a great chance to extend their lead when Howe found Daly just inside the Wittenham box and he took a touch a fired past Heyden only to see his shot rebound of the inside of the post. Wittenham then went into a period of the game forcing a sting of corners as they looked to level the game and the best of these saw Houseman head just wide from eight yards out. Both sides then created half chances which failed to trouble either keeper until just over ten minutes remaining when Wittenham fought they had drawn level when a shot from Joe Couchman hit the inside of the Hendred post and rebounded into the path of Will Vaukins who tapped the ball into the net only to see it ruled offside to the home fans dismay. As Wittenham pressed to level the scores Hendred nearly caught them on the counter attack but Austin saw his close range shot turned round the post by keeper Heyden. Then with minutes remaining Hendred had the ball in the Wittenham net only to see the flag raised for offside which followed with two half chances for Wittenham that flew over the Hendred cross bar as Hendred saw the game out to claim the points and move into second place in the table.

Division One
Berinsfield moved seven points clear at the top of Division One when they travelled back from Steventon posting a fine 5-2 victory thanks to a hat-trick from Charlie Lee with further goals coming from Luke Holdsworth and Joe Bennett with Steventon replying through Dan Evans and Kevin Thimbleby and Berinsfield even had time to miss a penalty through substitute Stephen Masterson. Hanney United bounced back from last week’s defeat and claimed a narrow 3-2 victory over Stanford-in-the-Vale with goals coming from Dean Newbold, Andrew Hope and James Bishop whilst Stanford replied through Adam Hazell and Bradley Hammond.

Division Two
Ardington moved back to the top of the Division and kept their 100% record in the league with a 4-2 victory over Faringdon Reserves with Mathew Pedder scoring twice and Jamie Gregory and Luke Faircloth also hitting the target whilst Richard Evans and Mark Loveridge scored for the visitors. Blewbury kept in the shadow of the leaders when they won in a high scoring 4-3 victory over Wallingford Town Reserves with Arran Gray scoring twice and Charles Jamieson and Warren McCabe also finding the target whist Wallingford replied through James Spruyt who scored twice and Zach Field. Compton made short work of their afternoon when posting a fine 5-0 victory over Watlington Town thanks to a Jake Rostron hat-trick with further goals coming from Jack Baker and a own goal. Kintbury Rangers Reserves bounced back from last week’s narrow defeat when posting a 3-0 victory over Crowmarsh with Craig Bruce, Luke Conner and Kye Franklin all hitting the target.

Division Three
Long Wittenham Reserves closed the gap on the leaders when they travelled back from Cholsey with claiming a 2-0 victory with goals from Steve Molloy and Andy Sutherland with Cholsey day not getting any easier when they had keeper Matt Leach sent off for handling the ball outside the box. Drayton kept in the running for promotion when they posted a 3-1 victory away at Hagbourne United thanks to goals from Ryan Seamark, Sandy Bolton and Pat Taylor whilst Jamie Clark scored for the home side. Letcombe Reserves maintained their fine run of form with a 4-0 victory over Marcham with Chris Pocock scoring twice with Dan Bailey and Angelo Fragata also found the net. Lambourn Sports Reserves claimed their first league victory for a while with a 2-0 victory over Wallingford Town A with goals from George Harris and Luke Peacock.

Division Four
Ardington Reserves moved six points clear in Division Four when they won the top of the table clash 3-0 against Cumnor Minors U21 with goals from Dale Cameron, Lee Kent and Patrick Steptoe. Watlington Town Reserves lost ground on the leaders with posting a rare 0-0 draw against Hanney 66 Club whilst Marcham Reserves posted a thumping 7-2 victory over Steventon Reserves thanks to a Leroy Muambe hat-trick with further goals coming from Cameron Chalmers, Chris Shahab,Leighton Jackson and Tom Faulkner whilst Matthew Moxon and Jordan Burgess scored for Steventon. Berinsfield Reserves got back to winning ways with a fine 5-0 victory over Hagbourne United Reserves with Jack Jones scoring twice with further goals coming from Harvey Moore, Iain Pledge and Jon Welch. Appleford and Faringdon Town A could not be separated in posting a 2-2 draw with Eddie Stanhope and George Lee scoring for Appleford.

North Berks Cup 3rd Round
Westminster moved into the Quarter Finals of the North Berks Cup with a fine 3-1 victory away against Harwell Village thanks from two goals from Michael Hooton with Andy Younie also scoring whilst Lewis Noble scored for Harwell. Saxton Rovers also made it through to the next round posting a thumping 7-0 victory over North Oxford thanks to a hat-trick from Tom Stanley with Jack Bernasconi scoring twice with further goals coming from Dan Parry and Gary Belcher. Division One Lambourn Sports claimed a narrow 1-0 victory against Division Two Benson Lions with Rob Curtis scoring the only goal of the game.

Roll of Honour
Berinsfield move seven point clear in Division One
Ardington move back to the top of Division Two
Ardington Reserves move six points clear in Division Four
Charlie Lee scores a hat-trick for Berinsfield
Tom Stanley scores a hat-trick for Saxton Rovers
Jake Rostron hits a hat-trick for Compton
Leroy Muambe scores a hat-trick for Marcham Reserves