North Berks Football League Roundup - 9th September 2017
Richard Underwood, NBFL Media Relations Officer

Mobey hits hat-trick as Lambourn win at Stanford

Lambourn Sports travelled to early Division One leaders Stanford-In-The-Vale and came away with all three points posting an emphatic 7-1 victory at Cottage Road. Lambourn started well and should have taken the lead as early as the second minute when Luke Richards found space just inside the Stanford box and his inch perfect cross found Darren Mobey six yards out who somehow side footed the ball straight at the keeper with the goal at his mercy. Mobey though made amends minutes later as Lambourn took the lead when collecting the ball on the half way line and his through ball found Richards who calmly slotted the ball past the on rushing keeper and into the net. Then moments later Lambourn doubled their lead when a high corner was cleared to the edge of the box only to be headed back into the danger area where it found the unmarked Mobey who slotted home from close range. Stanford were in disarray and they were soon to go further behind when a fine through ball from Richards found Jonathan Peachey Score who took a touch and fired past the diving Marcus Lewis in the Stanford goal. Lambourn should have then extended their lead even further on the twenty minute mark with both Mobey and Richards had shots just outside the box which took the paint off the Stanford post as they whistled just wide. The game then went into a period where chances were few and far between as Stanford finally started to look as they were getting a foot in the game and created a few half chances of their own and just before half time when a fine move found Max Johnson just outside the box and his shot just went over the Lambourn crossbar. The second half started quiet with neither side creating anything to trouble either keeper of note as the weather could make up its mind whether to rain or shine as the home side looked to get back into the game. Stanford should of pulled a goal back just after the hour mark when a fine cross found Charlie Grimes just inside the box and he turned and fired his shot only to see it brilliantly saved by the diving Ben McKevitt from close range. Lambourn then increased their lead with twenty minutes remaining when substitute Derryn Bowles collected the ball on the right ran and fired a low cross which found Mobey in space to tap the ball home from close range. Minutes later Lambourn made it five when a neat one two by Richards and Sore which then saw Richards bend his shot past Lewis and into the far corner of the net. The home fans then had something to cheer when Stanford was awarded a penalty for hand ball and Josh Vaughan stepped up only to see his penalty well saved by McKevitt but the rebound fell kindly to Vaughan’s feet and he fired home from close range. Lambourn added a further two goals in the final ten minutes firstly Peachy-Score fired a low and hard shot past Lewis from just outside the box and moments later Mobey went home with the match ball when he completed his hat-trick. In the dying minutes of the game Lambourn should have scored again when a fine cross ball by Lenny Khan found wing back Damian Smolinski in total space with only the keeper to beat but his shot went tamely wide of the far post

Saxton Rovers went top of Division One with an emphatic 10-0 victory over North Oxford at Caldecott Road which has now seen Saxton score fourteen goals in two matches without conceding with Saxton scoring through a hat-trick from Tom Stanley with further goals coming from Louis Bloomfield, Frankie Haines and Dan Parry who all scored twice with Niall Hodgkin’s also finding the target. East Hendred built on last week’s good performance when they travelled to Westminster and claimed all three points with a hard fought 2-1 victory thanks to goals from Tom Austin and Mark Brind whilst Westminster reply came from Dan Hill.Harwell Village bounced back from last week’s defeat when they posted a fine 3-0 victory over Hanney United at the War Memorial Ground thanks to two goals from Jack Powell and veteran striker Gareth Fenton.

Sutton Courtenay went top of Division Two and made it two wins from two with a fine 5-2 victory over Benson Lions at the RAF ground thanks to a hat-trick from Rhys Griffiths with Dan Hope and Kieron Kerby also finding the net whilst Aaron Beatts scored both goals for Benson. Saxton Rovers Reserves moved into second place with a hard fought 2-1 victory over Blewbury thanks to goals from Carl Archer and Connor Spraggs with Aaron Gray scoring for Blewbury with this result also made more difficult with Saxton having Patrick Mannix being sent off.Crowmarsh recorded their first points of the season with a hard earned point against Watlington Town with Scott Gesner scoring for the home side whilst Adam Holloway finding the target for Watlington.

New boys Cholsey went top of Division Three after travelling to Hagbourne United and posting a fine high scoring 5-3 victory thanks to goals from Luke Higgins, Danny Woods, David Norris, Liam Woods and Patrick Issit whilst Hagbourne relied through Jamie Clarke, Alex Rodman and Connor Dawson. East Hendred Reserves hit the ground running with winning their first match of the season recording a 5-0 victory at Long Wittenham Reserves thanks to a hat-trick from Liam Eltham with Chris Whitworth and Jamie Wilkins also finding the target. Marcham also claimed victory on in their first league of the season game with a fine 7-3 victory over Lambourn Reserves with Conor Dann hitting a hat-trick with further goals coming from Dan Thomas, Stuart Armstrong, Tom Graham and an own goal whilst Lambourn replied through Liam McGowan, Dan Glozier and Linford Dziva.

Berinsfield Reserves are early leaders in Division Four when they claimed a fine 5-0 victory over Steventon Reserves at Laye Avenue thanks to Max Palmer scoring twice with further goals coming from Tony Beechers,Kia Dixon and Mennan Calvo.Following in their footsteps are Ardington Reserves who also won their first game of the season with a 5-2 victory over Marcham Reserves thanks to two goals from Jordan Goddard with Jarrad Webster, James Manning and Shane McGowan whilst Dan Bond and Stephen Vaughan scored for Marcham. Cumnor Minors U21 moved into an early third place in the table with a fine 5-3 victory over Appleford with Jordan Hia scoring two goals with James Large, Darryl Johnson and Will Jones also finding the target whilst Billy Baker, James David and David Kavanagh all scored for the Appleford. Watlington Town Reserves kicked off their campaign with a 4-2 victory over Uffington United Reserves with Gabby Heycock, Josh Heycock, Fraser Wilson and Chris Little all finding the target for Watlington with Liam Mullins and Ethan Thomas scoring for Uffington.
Compton moved into the next round of the Berks and Bucks Intermediate cup when they posted a fine 4-1 victory over Faringdon Town Reserves thanks to goals from Nick Monger, Michael Booroff, Jack Baker and Ben Brzoskra.

Roll of Honour
Saxton Rovers hit ten against North Oxford and go top.
Lambourn Sports hit seven at Stanford.
Sutton Courtenay hit five and are the early leaders in Division Two.
Marcham hit seven at home to Lambourn Sports Reserves.
Cholsey go top of Division Three.
Berinsfield Reserves hit five and are early leaders in Division Four.
Tom Stanley hits a hat-trick for Saxton Rovers.
Rhys Griffiths hits a hat-trick for Sutton Courtenay.
Darren Mobey hits a hat-trick for Lambourn Sports.
Liam Eltham scores a hat-trick for East Hendred Reserves.
Conor Dann scores a hat-trick for Marcham.