North Berks Football League Roundup - 2nd December 2017
Richard Underwood, NBFL Media Relations Officer

Wittenham claim a point against unbeaten Saxton

Saxton Rovers dropped their first points of the season and lost their one hundred per cent record when they were held to a 1-1 draw against Long Wittenham at Caldecott Road. Long Wittenham started the game well and took the lead very early on when a fine run and cross by Joe Murphy found the onrushing Arron Colley who fired past Saxton keeper Jack Absolom from around twelve yards out. Then moments later Colley should have doubled Wittenham’s lead when he latched on to a fine long ball only to see his shot on the run saved by the outstretched foot of keeper Absolom. Saxton were struggling to get any hold on the game although after forcing a few corners they did create a half chance that after being deflected went agonisingly wide. Wittenham then on the half hour mark had a glorious chance to increase their lead when Colley was put through one on one with the keeper only to see his shot brilliantly saved by Absolom and then Colley fired the rebound towards goal only to see Saxton defender George Miles clearing the ball off the line. Both sides then created half chances which were either saved or missed as Long Wittenham greeted the half time whistle with a narrow lead.Saxton came out for the second half a lot more determined and forced a few corners early on before on fifty minutes a fine run and cross by Frankie Haines found leading scorer Tom Stanley who turned and shot only to see his effort turned around the post by the outstretched foot of keeper Rob Hayden.Saxton were enjoying a lot more possession and started to look like a side who had gone unbeaten all season and created a few more chances but failed to make that final touch count. On the hour mark as Saxton were pushing forward Wittenham had a great chance to double their lead when Sam Borland was put through on the Saxton right and he took a touch a fired towards goal only to see it turned over the bar by the outstretched hand of keeper Absolom.Saxton continued to push forward and created a great chance when a fine run a cross from Riley Stone found the head of Stanley six yards out but watched his header go just over the Wittenham cross bar. Then with twenty minutes remaining Saxton drew level when a pin point Haines corner found Niall Hodgkin’s who powered his header into the back of the net from six yards out.Saxton now looked for the winner and carved out many half chances but could not get through the resolute Wittenham defence as keeper Hayden pulled off a few fine saves from free kicks to keep the scores level. The game was wide open and Wittenham should have done better in the closing stages of the game when catching Saxton on the break but the attack led to nothing when they had players to spare. Saxton were then reduced to ten men after Tom Booker was sent off after reacting to a late challenge as Wittenham held firm from a few late corners to hold on to a very hard earned point.

Division One
In the only game played in Division One North Oxford picked up their first league win of the season posting a 3-0 victory over Stanford-In-The-Vale thanks to two goals from Charles Appiah with the goal coming from Sadiq Hamis.

Division Two
Blewbury maintained their fine run of form and moved into second place in the Division when they beat Faringdon Town Reserves 3-1 with Charlie Noble, Liam Kay and Charlie Jamieson all hitting the target for the home side, James Tranter replied for Faringdon Town Reserves. Wallingford Town Reserves came away with a fine 4-2 victory over Saxton Rovers Reserves thanks to a Dan Walkingshaw hat-trick with Jamie Thurston also scoring whilst Michael Smith and Harry Chadwick scored for Saxton. Kintbury Rangers Reserves travelled to Sutton Courtenay and claimed all three points in a narrow 3-2 victory thanks to a Dan Chamberlain hat-trick whilst Jack Dingwall and Mason Churton scored for Sutton Courtenay.Crowmarsh and Compton could not be separated as they claimed a point a piece in a 3-3 draw with Jefferson Harriet scoring two goals and Jon Fanstone also scoring for Crowmarsh whilst Henry Thornton, Ben Brzoska and Jack Baker scored for Compton.

Division Three
East Hendred Reserves went eight points clear in Division Three went they thumped Hagbourne United 10-0 at Mill Lane thanks to a four time from William McDonald with Mark Brind hitting the net twice whilst Neil Cheshire, Tom North, Liam Eltham and an own goal made up the rest of the goals. Wallingford Town A got their first league win of the season posting a fine 6-3 victory over Uffington United thanks to a hat-trick by Cedric Nkouh with Brandon Burton, Tom Dowdell and Louis Chainey also finding the target whilst a Pete Byrne double and a Lewis Bain strike scored for Uffington.

Division Four
Ardington Reserves remained top of the table when they claimed a fine 3-1 victory over Watlington Town Reserves thanks to two goals from Luke Alder with Dale Cameron scoring the other goal whilst Steve Alton scored for Watlington. Cumnor Minors U21 remained in the leader’s shadows when they came away from Appleford with a 5-2 victory with two goals from Jeshwa Simmons-Sadler with Levi Webb, William Jones and Lee Perkins also hitting the target whilst Eddie Stanhope and Richard Kirk scored for Appleford. Marcham Reserves moved up into third place in the table with a 4-2 victory over Faringdon Town A thanks to goals from Leighton Jackson, Chris Shahab, Stuart Armstrong and Daniel Barnes whilst Jack Green and Dom Wills scored for the visitors. Steventon Reserves got their first points of the season when they travelled to Hagbourne United Reserves and claimed a 2-0 victory with Martin Hudson and Stuart Coppock both finding the target.

North Berks Cup 2nd Round
Ardington maintained their one hundred percent record despite being reduced to ten men and moved into the next round of the competition when they beat Watlington Town 3-1 with goals from Luke Fairclough, Jamie Gregory and Shane McGowran whilst Chris Little scored for the home side. Ardington will now face either Crowmarsh or Marcham in the next round.
North Berks War Memorial Cup 2nd Round.
Steventon claimed their first win of the season and moved into the next round when they narrowly beat Hanney United 4-3 after extra time on the Steventon Green thanks to goals from Kevin Scott, Dan Evans, Blake Latimer and Ben Trotman whilst Hanney replied through two goals from James Bishop with George Crawley scoring the other goal. Steventon will now meet either Ardington or Wallingford Town Reserves in the next round.

Roll of Honour
East Hendred Reserves hit ten and go eight points clear.
Ardington maintain one hundred percent record
North Oxford claim their first league win of the season
Steventon win their first game of the season
Wallingford Town A claim their first league win of the season
Steventon Reserves claim their first league win of the season
William McDonald hits a four time for East Hendred Reserves
Dan Chamberlain hits a hat-trick for Kintbury Rangers Reserves.
Dan Walkingshaw hits a hat-trick for Wallingford Town Reserves
Cedric Nkouh hits a hat-trick for Wallingford Town A

Photo: Niall Hodgkin’s heads home Saxton Rovers equaliser against Long Wittenham in Division One.